Wednesday, March 28, 2012

3/28/12

From S- Disaster or Godsend?

Yesterday morning at 8:20, Mom called me to tell me that there was water on the floor in her bathroom, and that it was all over the place. I needed to get someone over there fast to check it out and probably turn off the valve for the toilet (my primary suspicion). The only person I could get a hold of was Jackie. She generously sprung into action and she and Kaylee went to Mom's house. As we were talking on the cell phone and Jackie walked into Mom's room, I could hear the water sloshing with each footstep. Sure enough, the toilet was gushing. Jackie cut off the water immediately. Many thanks to Jackie. It was about 8:45 by now.

I left work went to Mom's, calling ARS and Emergency Service Restoration along the way. I got to Mom's at about 10:00. The plumber was there by about 10:30. The clean up service crew got there by about 11:00. I called and filed the insurance claim, and headed up to work by about 12:15, just in time for a 1:00 Board meeting.

Ruth was willing to stay until about 4:00. Nancy got there at around 3:00 and relieved Ruth. I got there at 5:45 and Isabel got there at about 6:10. The crews finished up their work at about 7:30 or 8:00. All the carpet in the master bedroom is out. Molding was pulled out and holes were drilled into the sheetrock. Mom will have to have about 7 blowers and 3 drying units on through Friday afternoon when they'll pick them up.

Isabel stayed at Mom's last night and left at about 7:30 this morning. Nancy got there at about 8:00. Ruth got there at 9:00 and left at 1:00. I picked Mom up at 2:00 and took her to my house. Isabel will stay with Mom again tonight. Ruth will stay until 4:00 tomorrow, and will be back on Friday also. I suppose we'll just have to play this thing by ear. It was definitely a group effort to salvage what we could. The adjustor won't be in until April 4. He asks that we leave everything in place until then.

Autumn leaves could be ready within two or three weeks, that's the week of the 9th or 16th.

Mom had no idea what was happening yesterday. She kept asking repeatedly why people were in her house. She was able to tell Chelsea via Skype today that her house was "broken," and she's been talking about having to move - therein lies the possible Godsend. This may make the move to Autumn Leaves much easier. As long as she can keep in mind that her house is "broken," then the more likely it will be that she will accept the move.

Today, at my house, I played some old DVD's of the grandkids' birthdays and Easters. She didn't recognize anyone. She also did not recognize Dad in any of the videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment